Thursday, September 19, 2013

Time well spent

I just spent the last 2 hours watching old videos of Vir and Tara. From a day before Vir was born, to his first sponge bath in the hospital which stressed him out so much that he had to gnaw at his fist till he was red in the face, to Tara's little tantrums and dog and cat imitations to Vir's heart to heart with me when we were in the US telling me he doesn't like America to his loving messages to his gramps to his teaching Tara to say new words...if there's ever a fire and I need to pick up one thing to save, it will be these videos! Well, right after the kids and the dog, of course. And considering the videos are on YouTube, I guess it won't really make sense to actually "carry" them out of a burning building, but you know what I mean.

What priceless moments...and watching them just made me realize how little they were and how little they still are. Sometimes, I find myself expecting too much from them. There are some things like cleaning up their toys and carrying their own bags home from the bus stop and clearing their plates off the table after dinner, which are all in the interest of creating good habits and discipline and other stuff and nonsense which I guess I can stand by. But, I do find myself expecting other things too - like understanding when I'm tired or busy and can't listen to them, or understanding why I can't drop everything to look for that lost toy, or understanding why piano class is more important than park time twice a week. How can that little nappy clad, red faced, tiny thing who just wants a fist to gnaw already be asked to deal with such things?

After I finished watching all the videos I had, I went to sneak a peek at the little devils and had to stop myself from waking them up just to see them smile.

Okay, I tried to wake them up, but very very little.

Now, I can't wait for the morning so I can tell them how much I love them. I'll try to remember that as I run around like a maniac trying to get them to the bus stop in time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sandeep asked me just the other day why you had stopped writing on your blog and voila! Vir & Tara are precious and for all their tantrums and what not, they are intuitive (ok...Vir more than the princess!!), loving and just wonderful. Muaaaahhh!!