Monday, September 23, 2013

A different kind of milestone...

Over lunch today, Vir informed me that his teacher asked him to stand outside the classroom today because he was being naughty. This is a wholly new development, though not a very surprising one given the dramatic increase in mischief levels over the past few weeks. I have no explanation for it. He's 6. I guess that's an explanation for everything that happens this year. Last year, it was that he's 5. Next year, it will be that he's 7. I believe year 15 is something I can totally look forward to. Blank stares. Closed doors. Long hair. Strange friends. Weird music. And only one thing to comfort myself with - you guessed it - he's 15!

Back to the conversation this afternoon for now though. I asked him why it happened and got some sort of long winded story about how he and a friend not only didn't listen to ma'am when she wanted them to be quiet, they also joked about it and made fun of her.

Sigh. Vir, Vir, Vir. Vot am I to do with you?

It doesn't end here though. I told myself this is not worth overreacting to. There are many other daily disasters to which I routinely overreact. Here's my chance to be a cool mother who responds appropriately to a given situation. So, I continued eating my lunch for a bit before casually asking him how he felt about what had happened.

Huh? (How I felt about what?)

Well, you know - didn't you feel bad that your teacher sent you outside?

No, not really. I like outside. 

**

Vir, Vir, Vir. Vot am I to do with you?

No comments: